Exhibited: ~Fallbrook Art Center: This Enchanted Land: American Regionalism (1930 to Today) ~San Diego Watercolor Society
The imposing, red brick Mission Brewery is located at 1715 Hancock Street in San Diego, less than a mile from where Father Junipero Serra and his scurvy-ridden crew drove their stake into the ground... Constructed during the heady days of 1913, brewing was discontinued in 1918, due to the Temperance Movement and wartime conditions. It was used for the next year as an isolation hospital during the flu epidemic. In 1923, it was converted for use as a seaweed processing plant that functioned until 1987 when a local developer purchased the property and the property was converted to mixed-use office space housing concerns like the Five Points Brewing Company. The San Diego Trolley runs parallel with the western boundary of the property.
In 1989 the Mission Brewery was added to the National Register of Historic Places.